[postgis-users] Advanced Cartographic Effects

Stephen V. Mather svm at clevelandmetroparks.com
Tue Nov 29 13:23:31 PST 2011

Hi All,

                PostGIS, a cartographic tool?  I have a rather vague query,
so bear with me.  I'm looking to shortcut some painful manual cartographic
work, with any luck by using PostGIS.

                I want to show nearly coincident lines with exaggerated
distances between them, while maintaining their basic topology-e.g. having
lines cross when they cross.  In other words, all nodes of intersection
should be stationary, and all other vertices moved some distance "away".
I'm supposing I can define "away" topologically (left or right), or even
along the same axis as a line drawn between the vertex and the nearest point
on a line.  Am I thinking along the right lines, and should I be using
topology rules to keep my nodes stationary, or can I keep it simpler?

Best,

Steve

http://www.clemetparks.com/images/esig/cmp-ms-90x122.pngStephen Mather
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Manager
(216) 635-3243

svm at clevelandmetroparks.com
 <http://www.clemetparks.com/> clevelandmetroparks.com