[postgis-users] Problems with the storage of raster data, raster2pgsql.py -errors

Torsten.Drey at t-systems.com Torsten.Drey at t-systems.com
Fri Oct 7 06:33:31 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm new to this list and also rather new to the work with PostGIS , I used to work with it a couple of years ago and started with it again 2 weeks ago.

Right now I'm experimenting a little bit with the possibilities to store raster in PostGIS. I have a PostGIS 2.0 installation on top of PostgreSQL 9.1 (Running on Centos 5.7).
What I did is to register 8bit and 16bit GeoTiffs inside postgis, i.e. as out-db raster. This works absolutely fine and when I publish this data via geoserver performance is extremely good!
When I load and store 8bit data inside postgis everything works well, too. But when  I try to load 16bit (the same data which I could register as an out-db raster in postgis) data I get an error. The error actually already occurs when I generate the SQL-file with raster2pgsql. When I execute:
python raster2pgsql.py -r dem_pgin  -t public.dem_pgin -s 32632 -k 512x512 -F  -I -o dem_pgin.sql

I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File raster2pgsql.py, line 1040, in ?
    main()
  File raster2pgsql.py, line 1003, in main
    gt = wkblify_raster(opts, filename.replace( '\', '/') , i, gt)
  File raster2pgsql.py, line 945, in wkblify_raster
    summary = wkblify_raster_level(options, ds, options.overview_level, band_range, infile, i)
  File raster2pgsql.py, line 905, in wkblify_raster_level
    hexwkb += wkblify_band(options, band, level, xoff, yoff, read_block_size, block_size, infile, b)
  File raster2pgsql.py, line 825, in wkblify_band
    hexwkb = binascii.hexlify(out_pixels)
TypeError: non-character (or 8-bit) array cannot be interpreted as character buffer

Is this a general issue with 16bit data or is it maybe an error in raster2pgsql.py (From some searching it seems to be numpy issue)?

Any help is appreciated, Cheers

Torsten

T-Systems International GmbH
Torsten Drey
Spezialist Geo-Consulting
GeoServices/GIS
Vorgebirgsstraße 49
D-53119 Bonn

Fon: +49 (0)228 9841 3690
Fax: +49 (0)228 9841 3990
E-Mail: torsten.drey at t-systems.com<mailto:rudolf.decker at t-systems.com>
Internet: http://www.t-systems.com

T-Systems International GmbH
Aufsichtsrat: René Obermann (Vorsitzender)
Geschäftsführung: Reinhard Clemens (Vorsitzender), Dr. Ferri Abolhassan,
Olaf Heyden, Georg Pepping, Klaus Werner
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main HRB 55933
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt am Main

Notice: This transmittal and/or attachments may be privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this transmittal in error; any review, dissemination, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmittal in error, please notify us immediately by reply and immediately delete this message and all its attachments. Thank you.