[postgis-users] Large leading blanks spaces in geometry column

Cliff Inbau colo14ers9 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 20:37:53 PDT 2011

When I query (using the pgAdmim Query Tool) the geometry column for some
polygon tables, using ST_AsText, ST_AsEWKT, or ST_AsEWKB,  I am seeing
"blank" values returned for many rows.    If I perform the query via SQL,
there are large leading blank spaces before the actual values appear.  If I
copy/paste the field value into a text editor the geometry values are
actually there.  Likewise, if I display the table in Quantum GIS, the
features display fine.    The geometry seems to be valid.

I used the pgShapeFile Loader (GUI) to load the shapefiles, and no errors
were displayed.

What would cause the geometry column to have these large leading blank
spaces before the actual values?

Using PostGIS 1.5.3 with PostgreSQL 9.0 on Windows 7 machine.

Thanks,

Cliff Inbau
colo14ers9 at gmail.com