[postgis-users] PostGIS Conceptual and Phisical Modelling

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Oct 17 00:19:59 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 01:24:43AM -0200, Carlos Andrade wrote:

> I came across this presentation while searching for it:
> http://oslandia.org/postgis_paris_juin_2011/postgis_paris_topology_santilli.pdf
>
> Is anyone aware where can I find the tool used for this presentation or even
> more information about how to model geographic data?

I've been using QGis for the display the topology and PostGIS functions
to edit it. Topology model is defined by ISO/SQL-MM document.

> I've search the list
> here as well but I only found a sugestion about DB Designer, and i'm not
> quite sure if that was the tool used on that presentation or if it would be
> available for us (we're just students, we can't afford a pay to use tool,
> nor it be feasable to buy just for one school assignment).

Pencil and paper are the best tools out there.

It may be too much old school but I'd suggest using Entity-Relationship
diagrams for a start. There's a nice ER diagram about the topology model,
for example, under the topology/ER/ directory of the PostGIS source tree.

--strk;