[postgis-users] Tiger Line 2010 - Edges

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Tue Oct 18 09:54:51 PDT 2011

Hi Rene,

The edges also include TFIDL and TFIDR fields. These are the foreign
keys that identify the topological faces on the left- and right-side of
an edge. If you combine this with the attribute data of the TIGER FACE
layers (the topological faces), you can then determine the "place"
(city, town, or Census Designated place) FIPS code associated with the
topological face that is bounded by a road edge. To get the name of the
"place", you then need to use the TIGER PLACE layers. However, many road
segments don't have road segments that fall into a "PLACE", so you need
to devise another strategy to deal with them.

All in all, working with TIGER data is not straight forward.

Dan