[postgis-users] PostGIS table doesn't show up in QGIS

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:07:54 PDT 2011

This happens from time to time... I have a table like so

CREATE TABLE foo
(
  gid serial NOT NULL,
  the_geom geometry,
  CONSTRAINT foo_pk PRIMARY KEY (gid ),
  CONSTRAINT enforce_dims_the_geom CHECK (st_ndims(the_geom) = 2),
  CONSTRAINT enforce_srid_the_geom CHECK (st_srid(the_geom) = 4326)
)
WITH (
  OIDS=FALSE
);

ALTER TABLE foo
  OWNER TO postgres;

CREATE INDEX foo_geom_idx
  ON states
  USING gist
  (the_geom );

Yet, the above table doesn't show up in QGIS open dialog. If I check the box to show tables with no geometry, then the above table shows up as not having any geometry. The table has 20K+ rows, and while a few rows have invalid geometry, for the most part, the table has good data in it.

What is the reason for the above?

Puneet.