[postgis-users] undefined symbol: DirectFunctionCall2 ?

Greg Allensworth gregor at greeninfo.org
Tue Sep 27 13:55:50 PDT 2011

On 9/27/2011 1:41 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Create a new database
> Load PostGIS 1.5 into that blank database
> Load your dump file into that PostGIS 1.5 database
> Watch a lot of errors go by

Yeah, we got that. Aside from these functions, the process still
basically worked. Still, I'd like for these functions to work.

> I think it's possible you've created a new database in PgSQL 9.1 but
> still linked all your functions to the old PostGIS library, which is
> not what you're trying to acheive.
>> ERROR:  could not load library "/usr/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.3":
>> /usr/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.3: undefined symbol: DirectFunctionCall2

Hey, you're right: I thought the -1.3 looked fishy. I see now that it
created /usr/lib/postgresql/postgis-1.5.so And if I manually run those
commands with the correct .so file specified, it works. Great!

So, next questions would be: what went wrong that it was using the old
.so in the upgrade output, and how do I correct it?

I suppose one approach is to take the .dump.ascii file, snip out the
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION paragraphs, substitute the correct .so, and
run those. Does that sound like a good approach, or a Really Bad Idea?

--
Greg Allensworth, Web GIS Developer
BS  A+  Network+  Security+  Linux+  Server+  ZCE-PHP
PH: 415-979-0343 x302  FX: 415-979-0371    email: gregor at greeninfo.org
Web: www.GreenInfo.org     www.MapsPortal.org

Subscribe to MapLines, our e-newsletter, at www.GreenInfo.org