[postgis-users] raster efficiency

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 22:12:13 PDT 2012

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for your answer.

To compute profile, here is what I do:
Input is a linestring
Initializes raster ID to NULL
I segmentize to the desired length
Force 3D
For all points do:
     Get point in 2d
     If point does not intersect with current raster ID:
         get new raster ID
     Get altitude with ST_Value
     Set current point with 3rd coordinates
ST_3Dlength

Here is the full SQL if you want
https://github.com/3nids/qWat/blob/0b1ced3781e135d5eb03f5172610fd8889c7ae36/sql/3d.sql
I noticed that searching for the correct raster took time, so that's why
I keep current raster ID. And having bit tiles, the probability to stay
on the same raster is quite high.

Also my 14 tiles are 6x9km at 2m, so this is about 3000x4500.

Do you suggest to cut them before with gdal and have something like 1000
small tiles rather than my 14 big ones?

Thanks

Denis