[postgis-users] what about 3d-srids

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Mon Apr 2 07:19:35 PDT 2012

Felix-

FYI, OGC is currently intensively discussing nD CRSs. A suggestion for a name
type specification is advanced, a CRS resolver, SECORE, has been implemented and
is in beta. SECORE is shipped with (but independent from) the rasdaman system,
which allows to handle nD rasters of unlimited size through a raster query
language very efficiently.
All parts mentioned are being exercised in the EarthServer project
(www.earthserver.eu) on 1D through 5D data of volumes growing to half a PB in
rasdaman databases, and for Earth and Mars (thereby challenging OGC concepts for
validation purposes).
You can download the LGPL code at www.rasdaman.org.

HTH,
Peter

--
Dr. Peter Baumann
    mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
    www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)