[postgis-users] Easiest web-gis for choropleth map or should I use QGIS plugin?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Apr 2 11:44:12 PDT 2012

Hi John,

I think you need to decide if you want to do the classification on
server or in the client or both.

1. in the client
This implies that you have to send all the polygons and attributes to
the client and have code in the client for classifing the polygons and
and assigning colors and drawing them

2. on the server
You need to decide what tool is best for classifying you polygons and if
it can output data in a format you need or work with a tools that can
output the format you need at the client.
Now you have to decide what you want the format output to be then pick
the best tool for that. Mapserver generally renders images, but it is
possible to get it to render MKL, GeoJson and other formats other than
images. I often write simple PHP Ajax handlers that talk to
PostgreSQL/PostGIS to issues queries and then reformat the query output
into the form I want.

3. some combined approach
Here you need to decide what is best done in the client vs the server
and build that out as needed.

There are trade offs for each approach. Maybe you can extend your Django
project. There are lots of articles and books written on choropleth
generation there is no "standard" choropleth. The best choropleth for a
given data set is highly dependent on the data and what you need to show
about the data.

HTH,
   -Steve W