[postgis-users] Severe shapefile upload issues

THX1138 ap.joseph at live.com
Thu Apr 5 19:14:54 PDT 2012

My postgis full version is as follows:

"POSTGIS="2.0.0 r9605" GEOS="3.3.3-CAPI-1.7.4" PROJ="Rel. 4.8.0, 6 March
2012" GDAL="GDAL 1.9.0, released 2011/12/29" LIBXML="2.7.8"
LIBJSON="UNKNOWN" RASTER"

My install (on Ubuntu-64 bit) could not be dirty because I created a new
virtual machine and built it from scratch.

I am using  shp2pgsql and pgadmin from a windows machine (64 bit with 64 bit
postgres and 64 bit postgis) and piping to my ubuntu server.

On my windows machine I completely removed postgres and reinstalled
everything so there should be no conflict their either.

I managed to solve the addgeometrycolumn problem by impementing Bborie's
suggestion (thanks btw, I would have never realized that I was supposed to
do that!)

I used:

create schema postgis;
create extension postgis with schema postgis;
create extension postgis_topology;
set search_path to public,postgis;
ALTER USER postgres set search_path to public,postgis;
GRANT ALL ON SCHEMA public TO postgres;
GRANT ALL ON SCHEMA public TO public;

The srid conversion issue remains and I tested on both windows and linux and
I get the same error result...

 I run:

shp2pgsql -c -s 2277:4326  -i -I "C:\tcad2\20120301_TCAD SHAPEFILES\MUD.shp"
postgis.mudtest4 | psql -d testing -U postgres -h 10.0.0.000 -p 5432

and get back:

ERROR:  function st_transform(unknown, integer) is not unique
LINE 1: ...CH MUD','4.55571330968e+007','3.22484265423e+004',ST_Transfo...
                                                             ^
HINT:  Could not choose a best candidate function. You might need to add
explicit type casts.

I don't see how this could be a version upgrade error, considering I did
clean installs on both windows and ubuntu , with the linux install being
done on a brand new virtual machine and the windows on being done using
precompiled binaries and installed using the batch file that came with them.

Am I perhaps forgetting to specify an option or adding in one that is
incompatible? I have tried multiple shapefiles and nothing works.