[postgis-users] Adding geometry to an existing table

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat Apr 28 12:03:09 PDT 2012

Hi Shaun,

You add a geometry column to the table, then run an update sql to populate it.

eg, assuming your table is called mytable, located in the public schema, & you want to create a two dimensional point with lat/long coordinates (EPSG:4326) called "geom":

select ST_AddGeometryColumn('public','mytable','geom','4326','POINT',2);

then update this table to populate the new geometry column from your x & Y columns (called lon & lat) set to EPSG:4326 coordinates:

update mytable set geom = ST_Setsrid(ST_Makepoint(lon, lat),4326);

Note that if you are doing any spatial queries (such as point in polygon, etc), that you should also add a spatial index to this column.

HTH,

   Brent Wood