[postgis-users] area and distance

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Aug 4 03:34:27 PDT 2012

Chandler,

1) As Muhammad mentioned, you want to check to make sure your geometries are
in the same planar projection.  First verify you brought them in with a
specific projection

By doing a

SELECT ST_SRID(geom), ST_AsText(geom) As wkt
FROM factory limit 1;

SELECT ST_SRID(geom)
FROM inner_area limit 1;

2) Your polygon may also be invalid in which case ST_Within will always
return false, do a

SELECT ST_IsValid(geom)
FROM inner_area As i
WHERE i.name = 'Dewsbury'

3) The casing of the name may be different in which case query 2 will return
no records.
e.g i.name = 'DEWSBURY'  is not the same as i.name = 'Dewsbury'

though it often is if you are used to working with SQL Server and other
databases.

Hope that helps,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us