[postgis-users] Linear referencing capability

David William Bitner bitner at gyttja.org
Thu Aug 23 11:33:58 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Melpati, Muni <
Muni.Melpati at dot.state.fl.us> wrote:

> In a shapefile, especially routes, you can have user defined measures
> (m-values, usually in miles), they might not be same when you measure the
> two dimenstional line, from  start to end vertices of any feature. These
> shapefiles would have begin and end post fields as attributes.****
>
> It is not the case for any shapefiles with line types since two
> dimensional measures deviate from real distance from point a to point b.
> Moreover they would not be in miles.****
>
> I was asking if I import a shapefile of “polyline M” into PostGIS would I
> be able to get measure in miles given a point or would I be able to get
> points given a measure in miles? Orelse there is different mechanism in
> PostGIS

If your shapefile has an M value and you use shp2pgsql to import it into
PostGIS, it will still have the M values intact. ogr2ogr and some other
tools do not carry forward the M value.

> ****
>
> to the same job. If so how it is done. I know there are few methods to
> retrieve a mile point or a measure give a point in PostGIS. Doesn’t this
> require calibrating the route, first, like I found out in this link (
> http://www.faunalia.com/lrs). Sorry for not being very clear in my
> previous question. I thought people might have confounded this situation
> and can easily understand it. Please let me know if still do not understand
> or help me if you can.

You can use all the linear referencing tools on this data using that
measure value. See
http://postgis.org/documentation/manual-2.0/reference.html#Linear_Referencing