[postgis-users] Advantages and disadvantages of storing raster in PostGIS raster

Bborie Park bkpark at ucdavis.edu
Thu Aug 23 11:42:59 PDT 2012

For my work, PostGIS raster provides a standardized method to store,
manage and query various datasets, specifically longitudinal climate
data and DEM for California.  This permits my end-users (researchers and
various decision support software) to use the SQL knowledge they already
know to get the data that they're looking for without needing additional
software (ENVI, ERDAS Imagine, ArcGIS).

The biggest limitation to PostGIS raster in 2.0 (and trunk) is that
there isn't advanced map algebra support (needed for fast unioning and
model output).  I hope to start working developing that support in the
next week or two... as I need it for my work.

-bborie