[postgis-users] Advantages and disadvantages of storing raster in PostGIS raster

Bborie Park bkpark at ucdavis.edu
Thu Aug 23 13:56:07 PDT 2012

You've hit the nail on the head.  ST_Union is way too slow in its
current form.  Once I rewrite the map algebra, performance should
improve dramatically.

You can do analysis on rasters now, just in a round-about fashion.  It
also depends on what you need to do.  If you're doing something pixel by
pixel independently, that can be done now.  If you need something that
requires a neighborhood (especially across tiles), there is nothing
sufficient in place.

Raster from the file system are always faster for raw access.  The
difference is when you need to do something with the raster.  If the
raster is on the file system, you use a 3rd party application or write
your own.  If in the database, you use SQL provided by whatever client
you want.  This is similar to discussions of geometries in the database
versus in shapefiles or other file-based containers.

I currently have ~300 GB of rasters loaded into PostGIS raster (in-db)
and performance is more than adequate for researchers and web end-users.
 I need to do some testing with out-db rasters to see what the
performance is like.

-bborie