[postgis-users] [GENERAL] pg_dump -s should use add_geometrycolumn(...)

Willy-Bas Loos willybas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 01:40:06 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Andres Freund <andres at 2ndquadrant.com>wrote:

> Two things:
> * the geometry_columns table is not a table anymore but a view of the
> postgres
> catalogs

Great! I didn't know that yet. It must derive the info from the constraints
then.
So that means you can just create the column with standard DDL, and there
is no more redundant info. Nice :)

> * extensions (9.1+, used by postgis 2 onwards) can declare configuration
> tables now, so even if you would still need a configuration table it would
> get
> dumped in a schema only dump

That's really cool, advanced stuff. It's interesting that the functions
still reside in public, but people probably did spend a few thoughts on
that.
(why not a separate catalog with all the functions and types etc? hmz maybe
because you'd need to change the search_path, which is in postgresql.conf)
I'll look into the typemod stuff further.

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>if postgis needs some info in a special table geometry_columns,
>that should be handled by pg_dump dumping and restoring that table too

Well, pg_dump -s doesn't dump the data, so it would then be missing. But it
is actually not data, but functional configuration. That's why creating
config tables for extensions (that do get dumped with a schema dump) is
awesome stuff! (even if postgis doesn't even use it now)

Thanks for your answers.
Cheers,

WBL
--
"Quality comes from focus and clarity of purpose" -- Mark Shuttleworth