[postgis-users] ST_Segmentize(geography) perfomance?

Shaun Walbridge shaun.walbridge at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 19:04:24 PST 2012

Hello,

I'd like to use the bleeding-edge feature of ST_Segmentize on a collection
of about 20,000 multilinestring geometries, each containing 1000-50000
vertices. For most of my geometries, things went without a hitch, but a
couple of subtables seem to just 'hang' when trying to segmentize. I've
mucked around with my shared_buffers to make sure that the geometries can
fit into memory, but it doesn't seem to have helped. My query looks like
this:

CREATE TABLE arcs_input AS SELECT id, name, count, ST_Segmentize(geog,
10000) as loc FROM lines_input;

I know this is still only in SVN, but what's the best way for me to help
debug this issue?

cheers,
Shaun