[postgis-users] Calling pgsql2shp.exe via python

David Quinn daithiquinn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 14:24:25 PST 2012

I'm trying to call the pgsql2shp.exe function using python, as I would like
to be able to loop through some tables. What I've tried doing is the
following:

import os
os.system('start "C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\9.1\bin\pgsql2shp.exe
-f D:\testShapefile.shp -h localhost -u postgres -p 5432 test_db "SELECT *
FROM myschema.testquery""')

When I paste the line:

C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\9.1\bin\pgsql2shp.exe -f
D:\testShapefile.shp -h localhost -u postgres -p 5432 test_db "SELECT *
FROM myschema.testquery"

it produces a shapefile without a problem. However, my python script
flashes open a CMD terminal, but it disappears before I see what is
happening and does not produce any output. I'm using PostGIS 2.0, Windows
7, and Python 2.6.5.
If there is an alternative approach to python for this, I will happily try
it out.

(I hope this question is not too off-topic!)

Thanks,
David