[postgis-users] Creating lines from a geometry collection

David Quinn daithiquinn at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 11:54:32 PST 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to split up a line using points into several smaller lines. I'm
using ST_Split but I don't understand how to combine the returned values
into a line. My code is as follows:

SELECT
   ST_Dump(ST_Split(g.geom, blade.geom)) AS geom
FROM
    points as blade,
    lines as g
WHERE
    ST_Intersects(g.geom, blade.geom)

I've tried using a few different geometry constructors such as
ST_LineFromMultiPoint() and ST_GeomFromEWKB() to convert what ST_Dump()
returns to create lines but my syntax/approach is not correct. What is the
correct approach?

Thanks,
David