[postgis-users] Unable to laod "C:/Program Files (x86)/PostgreSQL/9.1/lib/postgis-1.5.dll" unknown error 998

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Feb 25 13:22:17 PST 2012

Sebastian,

I presume you installed the 32-bit PostgreSQL the second time around you
installed right?
If not that is probably your problem since PostGIS is not yet supported on
the 64-bit EDB windows builds
(just the 32-bit installers). If you are interested in supporting our
efforts to build a 64-bit windows version then you can contribute to our
campaign

http://www.pledgebank.com/postgis64windows

Other reasons why you get this error:
1) one of the files postgis-1.5.dll depends on is not there.
common culprits which should be in the bin folder of your PostgreSQL \ bin
folder are

libgeos_c-1.dll, libgeos-3-3-2.dll, libproj.dll,libiconv-2.dll,
libxml-2-2.dll

If all those are present in your PostgreSQL bin, then use dependency walker
to check the dependencies which you can download from here

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

2) You are using the wrong postgis-1.5.dll -- note that there is a different
version for each version of PostgreSQL.  So if you say try to use a 9.0
postgis 1.5 with 9.1 version of PostgreSQL, it won't work.

You can download the one for your install from here and replace the
postgis-1.5.dll if that is the case:

http://www.postgis.org/download/windows/

Hope that helps,
Leo and Regina