[postgis-users] PostGIS Topology Pledge: completed !

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Jan 30 06:57:20 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 04:34:44PM +0200, Sindile Bidla wrote:
> Thanks strk,
>
> I was trying to use the topology functions.
>
> UPDATE public.sa_provinces
>   SET topogeom = toTopoGeom(the_geom, 'sa_provinces_topo');
>
> I get the following message:
>
> ERROR:  function totopogeom(geometry, unknown) does not exist
> LINE 2:   SET topogeom = toTopoGeom(the_geom, 'sa_provinces_topo');

Oops, my fault, it lacks a layer_id, which is the one returned by
the previous call to AddTopoGeometryColumn, so assuming you followed
my steps (and thus created a single topology layer) it becomes:

 UPDATE public.states
   SET topogeom = toTopoGeom(geom, 'states_topo', 1);

Full session again:

 SELECT CreateTopology('states_topo');
 SELECT AddTopoGeometryColumn('states_topo',
                              'public', 'states', 'topogeom',
                              'POLYGON');
 UPDATE public.states
   SET topogeom = toTopoGeom(geom, 'states_topo', 1);

--strk;