[postgis-users] PostGIS EWKB specification

Mert Erkan Elalmış mert.erkan.elalmis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 04:10:21 PST 2012

Hello,

I am trying to write down an interface definition document between two
systems. One of the systems is using PostGIS for GIS related functions and
generates geometry information in EWKB format. I am looking for a EWKB
specif'cation document, which defines the format of EWKB. I can only find
following information
http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-svn/using_postgis_dbmanagement.html#EWKB_EWKTor
http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-1.5/ch04.html#EWKB_EWKT , which
seems outdated to me.
OGC Simple Feature Access version 1.2.0 dated : 2006-10-05 and version
1.2.1 dated : 2011-05-28 supports Z, M and ZM, and many geometry types had
been included, however OGC still does not support SRID as an attribute to
geometry. Furthermore EWKB and WKB 1.2.0 interprets Z, M and ZM geometries
differently. In WKB 1.2.0 PointZ interger code is 1001 whereas in EWKB it
is 0x800000001.

In short
Is there a document that defines to EWKB format as similar to OGC document?
Is there any plans to redefine EWKB as an extension to WKB 1.2.0 in maybe
PostGIS 2.0?

Thanks
Mert Erkan Elalmis