[postgis-users] Are views slow ing down my wms?

Robert Buckley robertdbuckley at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 22:30:21 PDT 2012

Hi,

I have created a database structure which has 3 main postgis tables (1 for lines,polygones, and points) which each contain between 5-10,000 features. These tables then feed views which split the geometries into understandable groups which are then served through geoserver in Tomcat6, linux-Ubuntu 10.04.

I have noticed that the performance of the wms is getting considerably worse. Is this to do with the views or simply the amount of data being served?

Should I in hindsight have split the table into separate tables instead of creating views?

thanks for any help,

Robert