[postgis-users] distance from centroid to the points that form the outer boundary of the polygon

Tom van Tilburg tom.van.tilburg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 13:05:23 PDT 2012

Hi Yamini,

Are you sure that multipolygons is what you want to work with? Since a
multipolygon can consist of multiple polygons (obviously) who share a
common centroid that can be way outside your actual polygons.

That said, I would make use of ST_Dumppoints to do that.
Something like:
============
WITH pointsdump AS
(
     SELECT gid, ST_Centroid(geom) AS centre, (ST_Dumppoints(geom)).geom
AS point FROM polygontable
)

SELECT gid, ST_Distance(centre, point) AS distance FROM pointsdump

Now for every point in a geometry with a known gid you will see the
distance to it's centroid.
You can do statistics on these numbers with something like:
     SELECT gid, avg(distance) avg, max(distance) max, etc... FROM
results GROUP BY gid

Cheers,
  Tom