[postgis-users] PostGIS through xCode

Charlie Sharpsteen charles.sharpsteen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 09:21:50 PDT 2012

On Friday, June 1, 2012 4:30:41 AM UTC-7, chris mollis wrote:

> Right.. using REST calls is the way to do that.   You'll basically need to
> do any complex geo queries/functions in PostGIS and then return vectors of
> lon/lat points which you then display with the MapKit apis.
>
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 7:24 AM, Charles Galpin wrote:
>
>> Hi Ahmad
>>
>> You won't connect to the database directly. Depending on what the data is
>> you can use a variety of methods. Simple REST style calls to a web server
>> which runs code to query the database and return the data could be
>> sufficient, but for anything more complex I suggest using a WMS server like
>> geoserver or mapserver.
>>
>> If you want your app to run on multiple platforms consider doing it in
>> html 5.
>>
>> hth
>> charles

CartoDB is also a good choice that is worth some investigation:

    http://cartodb.com/

They do a great job of wrapping a web-accessible API around PostGIS tables.
The source code for the entire system is also freely available on
GitHub---but it does take a bit of work to unbox, configure and maintain by
yourself.

-Charlie