[postgis-users] Installing on Debian

aborrell borrellalex at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 11:01:18 PDT 2012

Hi Paolo, thanks for your post about postgis 2.0. I've been trying to install
it on an OSGeo 5.5 Ubuntu live dvd installed on a hard disk. I managed to
get Postgresql 9.1 working, but when I try to configure Postgis 2.0 I get
the following error:

./configure --with-pgconfig=/usr/lib/postgresql/9.1/bin/pg_config
--with-geosconfig=/usr/bin/geos-config --with-jsondir=/usr --with-topology
--with-raster

checking libpq-fe.h presence... yes
checking for libpq-fe.h... yes
checking for PQserverVersion in -lpq... yes
checking for xml2-config... /usr/bin/xml2-config
checking libxml/tree.h usability... yes
checking libxml/tree.h presence... yes
checking for libxml/tree.h... yes
checking libxml/parser.h usability... yes
checking libxml/parser.h presence... yes
checking for libxml/parser.h... yes
checking libxml/xpath.h usability... yes
checking libxml/xpath.h presence... yes
checking for libxml/xpath.h... yes
checking libxml/xpathInternals.h usability... yes
checking libxml/xpathInternals.h presence... yes
checking for libxml/xpathInternals.h... yes
checking for xmlInitParser in -lxml2... no
configure: error: could not find libxml2

I can't make it work. xml2-config is in /usr/bin, libxml2 in
/usr/include/libxml2/libxml and libxml2.so, libxml2.a in
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu

I would appreciate your help. Thanks

Alex Borell
Mexico