[postgis-users] Proper way to upgrade after using CREATE EXTENSION postgis?

Charlie Sharpsteen charles.sharpsteen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 11:02:44 PDT 2012

Hello all,

I installed PostGIS 2.0 and added it to a database using:

    CREATE EXTENSION postgis;

Today, I built and installed 2.0.1 and tried to upgrade the extension using:

    ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE;

However, this failed with:

    ERROR:  cannot drop cast from geometry to geometry because extension
postgis requires it
    HINT:  You can drop extension postgis instead.

So, I tried the old school way of running the upgrade scripts:

    psql -f /usr/local/share/postgis/postgis_upgrade_20_minor.sql
hum_bay_gis

But this also fails:

BEGIN
CREATE FUNCTION
       postgis_major_version_check
 Scripts versions checked for upgrade: ok
(1 row)

DROP FUNCTION
psql:/usr/local/share/postgis/postgis_upgrade_20_minor.sql:46: ERROR:
 cannot drop function addgeometrycolumn(character varying,character
varying,character varying,character varying,integer,character
varying,integer,boolean) because extension postgis requires it
HINT:  You can drop extension postgis instead.
psql:/usr/local/share/postgis/postgis_upgrade_20_minor.sql:47: ERROR:
 current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction
block
...(thousands of similar errors)...
ROLLBACK

So, it appears there is no way to upgrade PostGIS without running `DROP
EXTENSION postgis` which would cascade to all spatially-enabled tables.

Am I missing a step or is there a circular dependency here that is breaking
the upgrade process?

-Charlie