[postgis-users] From Debian to Windows + major upgrading of PostgreSQL and PostGIS

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Thu Jun 28 07:38:53 PDT 2012

Le 28/06/2012 10:32, Sandro Santilli a écrit :
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:23:14AM -0400, Mathieu Basille wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I need to proceed with a sensitive (and unfortunate) migration of
>> the computer which currently runs PostGIS from Debian to Windows. I
>> figured out I could as well upgrade PostGIS and PostgreSQL in the
>> process.
>>
>> Current versions are:
>> - Debian Squeeze
>> - PostgreSQL 8.4
>> - PostGIS 2.0 SVN r6066 from 13 October 2010 (long before the
>> extension mechanism was implemented)
>>
>> Target versions thus are:
>> - Windows 7
>> - PostgreSQL 9.1
>> - PostGIS 2.0.1
>>
>> Did anyone already go through such a migration? From what I
>> understand, I need to run a hard upgrade using pg_dump (or
>> pg_dumpall) from PostgreSQL 9.1 first. I will then get a .sql file
>> which contains the whole DB. I can then save it, install Windows 7 +
>> PostgreSQL 9.1 + PostGIS 2.0.1, and use it again to restore the DB
>> in the new PostgreSQL/PostGIS.
>
> You'll need to invoke pg_dump using the -Fc (custom format) switch,
> which gives you not an SQL but an indexed dump, needed for skipping
> the parts you won't want to restore. postgis_restore.pl will take
> care of the restore (and skipping).

Dear Sandro,

Thanks for the additional information. I didn't understand the specifics of
the -Fc switch (maybe something to add in the doc?). It seems I don't have
to worry too much with the PostgreSQL/PostGIS upgrade.

> And yes, I'd do the upgrade on Unix first.
> Once you go to windows you'll be alone in the dark ...

This is actually my main concern... I'm very familiar and happy with
Debian, and not at all with Windows... Anyway, the migration is not my
call! I will thus proceed with the upgrade first on Debian, and later
switch to Windows.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks,
Mathieu

> --strk;
>
>    ,------o-.
>    |   __/  |    Delivering high quality PostGIS 2.1
>    |  / 2.1 |    http://strk.keybit.net - http://vizzuality.com
>    `-o------'

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, Post-Doc

~$ locate
Laboratoire d'Écologie Comportementale et de Conservation de la Faune
+ Centre d'Étude de la Forêt
Département de Biologie
Université Laval, Québec

~$ info
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
``If you can't win by reason, go for volume.''
Calvin, by Bill Watterson.