[postgis-users] Install problem with PROJ directory

Bob Holmstrom holmstro at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 18:53:50 PDT 2012

Hello - very novice user here.

I am doing a neighborhood history mapping project and want to use a MapBox template.  In order to do so I need to "have PostgreSQL installed & running with a PostGIS database setup within it."

I have an iMac model 8,1 running Snow Leopard 10.6.8

I have downloaded and installed PostgreSQL 9.1  - The install ran as per the example shown in the www.enterprisedb.com/resources-community/pginst-guide

I did not install any of the StackBuilder options as offered at the end of the install.

I downloaded PostGIS after installing the GEOS and PROJ4 frameworks as per the osm2pgsql installer instructions.  I also downloaded and installed XCODE in order to get access to a c++ compiler.

./configure  apparently requires extensions to enable pg_config, GEOS, PROJ, and GUI?

./configure --with-pgconfig=/Library/PostgreSQL/9.1/bin/pg_config --with-geosconfig=/Library/Frameworks/GEOS.framework/Versions/3/unix/bin/geos-config  seems to run correctly through pg_config and GEOS and generates the error "configure: error: could not find proj_api.h - you may need to specify the directory of a PROJ.4 installation using --with-projdir"

The PostGIS install instructions say:

--with-projdir=DIR
Proj4 is a reprojection library required by PostGIS. Use this parameter (--with-projdir=/path/to/projdir) to manually specify a particular Proj4 installation directory that PostGIS will build against.

I don't find any directory titled "projdir"  and the file proj_api.h resides in the path /Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/Versions/Current/Headers/

Can anyone help me with the appropriate form for the extra bit for the ./configure statement?

Thanks

Bob