[postgis-users] Releasing a lock on a view/database

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Fri Mar 2 06:14:28 PST 2012

On 03/02/2012 04:46 AM, Stromberg Chris wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Sorry to contact you directly, but i can't see your reply against the
> thread, so can't add to it!!! (don't think it's been accepted yet...)
>
> I'm a bit of a novice with postgis, and am using PG Admin to manage it
> within a windows environment.
>
> You mentioned pg_locks and pg_stat_activity. Where do it see them (i
> can't find them under any of the data structure)? and can i remove the
> relevant locks on that view/table in question?
>
> many thanks
>
> Chris

No problem.  It's an email list, so just cc postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net and everyone else should see it too.

In a sql window run:

select * from pg_stat_activity

I don't use PgAdmin, so I'm not sure how it looks.  The pg_* tables are system tables, so they probably wont show under a public group.  Is there a system group?  You don't really need to see it in the explorer tree, just run the sql.

No, you cannot delete from pg_locks.  And that table only has ID's that you have to look up in other tables, so it's  not real simple.  Lets start with the activity table and see if we can find anything interesting in there.

-Andy