[postgis-users] Server Question

Stephen V. Mather svm at clevelandmetroparks.com
Mon Mar 12 09:01:22 PDT 2012

I'd look to SpacialDB <http://spacialdb.com/>  or CartoDB
<http://cartodb.com/> .  Each have their niche in the PostGIS-as-a-service
arena.  As to speed, I've heard good things, since with the larger hosted
machines you can load most everything into memory, so i/o becomes less of an
issue.  I've heard whispers of RAIDing of e.g. Amazon storage for speed
bumps, but don't know if these groups are using this or if it's even
necessary anymore.  My guess is both SpatialDB and CartoDB folks are on this
list and can answer any questions you have.  If not, ping them on twitter.

I also have seen e-mails from EnterpriseDB <http://www.enterprisedb.com/>
advertising PostgreSQL in the cloud, but don't know the details of their
offerings or support for PostGIS, but someone else on the list likely does.

Best,

Steve

http://www.clemetparks.com/images/esig/cmp-ms-90x122.pngStephen Mather
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Manager
(216) 635-3243

svm at clevelandmetroparks.com
 <http://www.clemetparks.com/> clevelandmetroparks.com