[postgis-users] cross-database queries and choice of database configuration

Tim Pigden tim.pigden at optrak.com
Thu Mar 22 04:53:56 PDT 2012

Hi
Postgres doesn't properly support cross-database queries but there seems to
something called dblink

I'm looking at constructing a database which will have a point data
(customer locations, delivery records and other logistics info) but all the
other data is open-source feature data - boundaries, roads, etc.

I had hoped  to implement a structure witgh the feature data in one
database and put my application-specific data in another - not least
because it simplifies backups and so on. The feature data is very large and
slow-to-change whereas the logistics data is much smaller and more dynamic.

Is this a practical approach for postgis type queries or do I have to put
it all in one database to get good querying flexibility?

Thanks
Tim