[postgis-users] PostGIS 2.0 installation problem - Ubuntu 12.04

jeffmeyer jeff at gwhat.org
Fri May 4 16:02:45 PDT 2012

Hi all - apologies if this is posted elsewhere - I couldn't find anything
about it:

the postGIS2.0 README states:

To install PostGIS library and utilities, as postgres run::

  make install

But, make install requires su privileges (in order to create certain
directories) and the default postgres user account doesn't have this. Do I
need to elevate postgres to su? Isn't that a security issue?

Currently, when I make install as postgres, I get the following error:

cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/lib/_inst.32562_': Permission
denied
make[1]: *** [install-liblwgeom] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/lib/postgresql/postgis-2.0.1SVN/liblwgeom'
make: *** [install] Error 1