[postgis-users] Very large WHERE clause?

DrYSG ygutfreund at draper.com
Tue May 8 06:14:26 PDT 2012

I have no joins. It is all in one large table with 20M records (and one field
is a geometry bounding box).

What I am considering now is not doing the Type=JPEG ... etc filter in the
stored procedure, but only the ST_INTERSECTS there.

The result should be about 3K-5k records, which then I can do the additional
set filtering (the rest of the WHERE clause) in LINQ or PLINQ.

Does this make sense? Does the DB have better architecture and performance
for doing set membership (IN test over 4 attributes) than does the C# LINQ?

I could also do what the other person suggested here, which is create a
bitmask (40 bits) and then do a AND test against it for membership in the
set. But I am not clear in LINQ, .NET does this already, and I am wasting my
time.