[postgis-users] Storing image file metadata in PostGIS

Billy Newman newmanw10 at gmail.com
Sat May 5 13:31:44 PDT 2012

Hello all,

I am currently using a pain old Oracle (not Oracle Spatial) database to
store metadata for a huge amount of imagery data.  I store this metadata
for file discovery purposes.  I.E. when a request is made for imagery I can
quickly hit the DB to get all overlapping image files.  I can then grab
those off the file system and serve them out.

I am using imageio-ext (Java) that sits on top of gdal to pull the
imagery's metadata.  Then just sending that to the DB.

I am probably doing this the hard way and wondering if PostGIS can help
simplify things.

I am wondering if PostGIS has support to store metadata for images, and
what that support really gives me.  Currently I am serving out images in
only EPSG:4326 so I want to do any transformations (if the image is not in
EPSG:4326) to the metadata before storing it in the database.

Can PostGIS read an image file and extract the metadata, transform the
metadata into an EPSG:4326 lat/lon bounding box and store it?

This is my current data model in Oracle if that helps:

DataSource (this contains general info about this group of image files)

ImageFile ( each data source has 0 - N image files)
double minLat
double maxLat
double minLon
double maxLon

Its as simple as that.  Although I am doing quite a bit of work using
imageio-ext, and gdal to try and extract, transform, and store the
metadata.  Is this less complex in PostGIS or essentially the same?

Thanks!
Billy