[postgis-users] Very large WHERE clause?

DrYSG ygutfreund at draper.com
Mon May 7 10:12:29 PDT 2012

It is all one table (20M+ records).

But it has 16 columns. The main filter (WHERE) is the bbox column (a
geometry column). But there are other columns such as image type, producer,
and time that we also want to allow the user to use to downselect.

And as I said, between the type and the producer there are about 40 possible
values.

I also suspect that it might be wise to break the query into two. First
doing the spatial selection (which should bring the table down to a few
thousand entries) and then do a subsequent search on the type, producer,
date, etc.

Is this true, or is the PLANNER smart enough to do this?

(Like I said, I a  C.S. software guy, not a DB guy).