[postgis-users] Same, similar et al

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed May 9 10:27:52 PDT 2012

On 5/9/2012 12:06 PM, Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi Steve
>
> FYI - I'm not involved in the geography side of Postgis, I'm developing
> an application to analyze engineering drawings.

I spend 20+ yrs of my career working with Computervision CAD/CAM
systems, most of that at Computervision in development, so I know a lot
about mechanical drawing, modeling, drafting, and machining.

> So, same in shape even
> if the shapes are spatially diverse is what I was looking for.

OK, but most of my questions are still valid.

* same shape but different location?
* same shape but scaled, different location?
* same shape but rotated about Z at different location scaled or not?

* don't care about topology

* "same shape" - implies same construction in terms of entities make up
the shape. So:

+-----+-----+ is different from +-----------+ ?

because of the extra node or not?

You might find that is you normalize all shapes into 1.0 x 1.0 unit box
and then do the comparison that this might simplify differences due to
scale.

-Steve W