[postgis-users] OSX PostGIS 9.1 installer not working

Jim deVos jim.devos at gmail.com
Fri May 11 15:15:48 PDT 2012

I'm unable to successfully run the postgis 9.1 graphical installer on my
Mac (OSX 10.6.8).   Whenever I launch the installer it displays the
following dialog "PostGIS requires PostgreSQL 9.1."  and then terminates.

I've confirmed that PostgreSQL 9.1 is installed and appears to be working
correctly.  Note that I also have an 8.4 install running also (8.4 runs on
the default port 5432, and the v9.1 instance runs on port 5433).  I've
tried stopping the 8.4 service and starting the 9.1 instance on the default
port, but I still get the error.

I read a similar thread (issues w/ postgis 9.0 installer)  that claimed
that the installer looks for "/usr/local/pgsql-9.0/lib/libpq.5.3.dylib".  I
don't have this file (or even this directory) on my machine,  but I do have
"/Library/PostgreSQL/9.1/lib/libpq.5.4.dylib", if that matters, and it does
appear that my postgresql 9.1 installation is working (i'm able to connect,
create tables, etc.).

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?