[postgis-users] error with installation of postgis1.5 on Windows 7 - please help

Mary O'Brien Mary.OBrien at 1spatial.com
Mon May 14 00:40:36 PDT 2012

Hi

I'm trying to install postGIS on Windows 7 and keep getting an installation error.

"Error opening file for writing: C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgresQL\8.3\bin\libiconv-2.dll"
The file libiconv-2.dll exists at this location.
I've installed postgresql8.3 (postgresql-8.3.18-1-windows.exe) and now installing postgis1.3 or 1.4 or 1.5 (I've tried them all) from the Application Stack Builder, and each time get the error " Failed to open http://ftp.postgresql.org/pb/projects/pgFoundry/stackbuilder/postgis-pg83-setup-1.5.3-2.exe   Error: The file does not exist"
So I've downloaded the postgis installer postgis-pg83-setup-1.5.3-2.exe and tied to install this separately. I then get the error "Error opening file for writing: C:\Program files (x86)\PostgresQL\8.3\bin\libiconv-2.dll"

I'm running the installers as Administrator (using the right click/ Run as Administrator option in Windows 7.
I've also tried logging in with administrator login and installing - again the same errors.

I'm installing postgres8.3 and postgis1.5 as this is what I had running on my old machine, and I'm trying to replicate. The metadata seems to be stored in views not tables within the new postgresql 9.1 - not what I want at the moment.

Has anyone experienced this?
Any ideas on why the install keeps erroring?

Your help much appreciated.

Thanks
Mary

Keep up to date with the latest 1Spatial news and events

1Spatial: Steering you towards efficient and reliable location-based data with the 1Spatial Data Improvement Process

http://www.1spatial.com/services/consulting/data_improvement_process

1Spatial Group Limited; Registered in England No. 4785688 VAT Reg. No. 816329821; Registered Office: Tennyson House; Cambridge Business Park; Cambridge; CB4 0WZ; United Kingdom

IMPORTANT NOTICE

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of 1Spatial Group Limited, its subsidiaries or associated companies, except where the author specifically states them to be the views of 1Spatial Group Limited, its subsidiaries or associated companies.

1Spatial Group Limited, its subsidiaries and associated companies will not be held liable for any legally binding obligations that are not the subject of an official 1Spatial purchase order or as part of a contract signed by a director of one of the aforementioned companies.

Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments. You should understand and accept that, when communicating with us by e-mail, it is not a totally secure communications medium.