[postgis-users] error with installation of postgis1.5 on Windows 7- please help

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Mon May 14 01:11:52 PDT 2012

Mary,

Unfortuantely I don't have a 8.3 handy around to test with at the moment
though I will soon.  The libiconv-2.dll is sometimes present and sometimes
not and the installer should skip it if its already present.  I'll double
check to make sure we didn't mess that up when packaging last.

Regarding the

http://ftp.postgresql.org/pb/projects/pgFoundry/stackbuilder/postgis-pg83-se
tup-1.5.3-2.exe

I'll check with Dave Page on that.  That one is a distribution network
issue.

 Regarding using 8.3 verses a newer version of PostgreSQL.  We build the
windows installers for 1.5 for 8.4,9.0, and 9.1 as well so not wanting to
move to 2.0 shouldn't stop you from using
a newer version of PostgreSQL.  I would at least go with 8.4 since 8.3 will
be out of support in a year or less and I don't recall there being any
issues with going from 8.3 to 8.4

You would simply just restore your backup on the new PostgreSQL 8.4 and
things should just work (if you had the same 1.5 on your old machine)

You might have to run the 1.5 minor upgrade script but that should be all.

BTW: we also have the 1.5.4 binaries up too --
http://www.postgis.org/download/windows/#windbinaries
But we haven't finished packaging the installers yet.  To use the binaires,
you just need to extract the files into your PostgreSQL install folder and
run the batch script with the relevant settings.

Hope that helps,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us

  _____