[postgis-users] Upgrade Postgis 1.4 to 2.0

david.peyrieres david.peyrieres at meteo.fr
Mon May 14 01:21:56 PDT 2012

Hello all.
I'm a newbie with PostGIS and I'm making my firsts upgrades of Postgres
databases and I meet some problems during upgrades.
My database is on a Postgres 8.3 with PostGis 1.4 and I want to deploy
and upgrade it on another server with Postgres 9.1.3 and  Postgis 1.5 or
Postgis 2.0 (I don't succeed with 1.5.3 last month ...).

Actually I work with Postgis 2.0

I've followed the instructions given in the documentation:

- compilations and installations of PROJ+GEOS+Postgis.

- I did an export of the older database with pg_dump and -Fc option

- I created a new database in which I created postgis extension with
psql -f ................... postgis.sql

As I try to upgrade a very old release of PostGIS and as describe in
documentation, I exec the script* legacy.sql***

- After that I ran a postgis_restore.pl with this syntax
              ./postgis_restore.pl  export_FC_mybase.dmp | psql -p 5433
-d tata 2>/tmp/resimport

Unfortunately I got this error message :

ERROR: type « box3d_extent » does not exists

I think it's an old type of data ? How to resolve it ? Change appl code
? Is it a miss in legacy.sql ?
Thanks, David.