[postgis-users] Installation problem on Windows Server 2008

Timmons, Ryan P ryan.p.timmons at lmco.com
Mon May 14 14:52:59 PDT 2012

I am getting this error on the installation of Postgis 2.0.0 for Postgres 9.0 on a 64 bit windows server 2008 system, at the point where it tries to make template_postgis_20:

psql:C:/CEMSA/PostgreSQL/9.0/share/contrib/postgis-2.0/postgis.sql:69: ERROR:  could not load library "C:/CEMSA/PostgreSQL/9.0/lib/postgis-2.0.dll": The specified module could not be found.
I checked the path and postgis-2.0.dll is indeed there.  I have retried a few times experimenting with permissions (even temporarily promoting the "postgres" account to a machine administrator to make sure it can read there), still getting same error.

My postgres version is 9.0.5.  We are aiming to eventually combine this with ESRI's ArcGIS Server/ArcSDE so used the postgres installer from the ESRI CD.

I scanned the list archives after joining and found http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2012-May/033957.html .  The "should work on Windows XP" makes me wonder if Server 2008 is not supported?  The windows instructions (http://postgis.refractions.net/download/windows/) talk about 32 vs. 64 bit, but no mention of XP vs. 7 vs. Server etc.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Ryan Timmons
Research Scientist, O/A014S