[postgis-users] Linear referencing with PostGIS

Melpati, Muni Muni.Melpati at dot.state.fl.us
Wed May 16 13:59:11 PDT 2012

We have various web-based GIS applications that consume the data from enterprise database (oracle/ArcSDE) . These applications need linear referencing capabilities of the ArcSDE. We currently do this using java API provided by ESRI. Some of these web application provide user capabilities to query distance, in miles, of a road segment give a location on the road. Our data has linear referencing capabilities and other features such as topology which are essential to our business needs. I came to know while older PostGIS doesn't provide such capabilities. I am wondering if newer versions offer any similar functionalities. Is it possible to provide similar capabilities with PostGIS and Postgresql? Thanks in advance.