[postgis-users] loading mostly identical states-based shapefiles

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri May 25 19:29:32 PDT 2012

I have US states shape files that are mostly identical, except for those silly legacy columns that have the state code prefix. Is there a way I can import these shapefiles via `shp2pgsql` specifying to *not* load a particular column? As is, the loader croaks because the '-c' switch creates the table on the first state load creating a column starting with that state's code, and then the second state can't find that column.

An additional question -- the '-S' switch promises to "Generate simple geometries instead of MULTI geometries." Why would I want to do that? Please educate me.

--
Puneet Kishor