[postgis-users] PostGIS INDEX Performance Intermittent

Mark Davidson mark at 4each.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 03:26:54 PST 2012

Hi Paul

Thanks very much for your responses

A few questions.

With the difference in the first two plans if your saying it might be the
autovacuumer messing it up would it be worth changing some of the default
settings to make it more or less regular etc or is it just delaying the
inevitable do you think? Also is it worth adding additional statistics on
the columns in question to try and get the planner to behave more as
expected.

Ok that’s interesting is kinda what I thought the case was. Unfortunately
don't have the budget to fund anything at the moment, but this is a very
big and on going project so might be potential in the future.
In the meanwhile is there anything you could suggest that I could do to
find out more about why the planner is making those decisions. Or is that
way above a user level and more a case of a developer looking at the
underlying code?

These other tickets you mention that may have a similar problem could you
point me in the direction of them I'd be very interested to have a read.

Will reply to your response on gis.stackexchange on there shortly.

Many thanks again for your input it is very much appreciated,

Mark