[postgis-users] Why PostGIS ST_Intersection much slower than ArcGIS Intersect ?

Étienne Desgagné etienne.desgagne at roche.ca
Thu Nov 29 08:04:57 PST 2012

It take millisecond to me to when using ST_Intersects on a spatial join.
What take much longer is when using ST_Intersection in the SELECT clause to
effectively “clip” a layer with the other one

My computer run under Windows 7 64bits with dual core 2.70GHZ and 8 Go RAM.

Is there anything I can do to check if it’s normal behavior on this platform
or if something may be wrong on my installation?

Thanks

Etienne