[postgis-users] Select polygons within polygon with PostGIS 2.0

Michal Zimmermann zimmicz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 01:27:42 PDT 2012

Hi to all,
I have a relation representing all the counties in my country and the
other one containing all the districts - e. g. each and every county
is composed of several districts. How do I select them with spatial
query? I tried with
select nazorp from kraje as k, orp_wgs as o WHERE ST_Within(o.geom,k.geom) AND
k.nazev = 'Liberecký' // name of the county

but had wrong results returned (well, they are probably not wrong,
they are just not what I expected them to be). ST_Within only returns
districts that don't share a boundary with the county, but I need to
get all the districts within the county. Is that possible? I haven't
found any built-in function suitable for my needs yet.

--
Michal Zimmermann (zimmi)
WWW: http://www.zimmi.cz