[postgis-users] Display GEOGRAPHY polygons crossing date line

iam_gilbey simonbolivar.uk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 04:03:13 PDT 2012

I have many polygons, including several that cross the date line. They are
stored as GEOGRAPHY and work perfectly with PostGIS v2.0.1, PostgreSQL 9.1.3
on windows XP. I can serve this data using Geoserver (v2.1), and view it
using open layers, where the polygons crossing the date line render
correctly.

I cannot however convert the data into KML (viewed in Google Earth 5.1), or
view it in Quantum GIS (v1.7), without the date line polygons being wrapped
around the earth.

I appreciate that this isn't strictly a postGIS problem, however being faced
with the stark choice between splitting my data about the date line
(inelegant) or not using Google Earth (unacceptable to users), I don't know
where else to turn!

Do you know of:
a) a way to get the data to render correctly in Google Earth; or
b) where else I should ask?

Thanks!