[postgis-users] PostgreSQL HStore and PostGIS

Blair Deaver blairdeaver at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 16:26:37 PDT 2012

Hello,

I have a need to design and develop an application which handles a wide
variety of possible variations for a database schema.  I am looking into a
number of options including popular NoSQL databases.  I do keep coming back
to PostgreSQL and PostGIS since I need to deal with geometries in a more
complex manner than either MongoDB or CouchDB Geospatial Indexing offer.

With that said, I have been looking into the new capabilities available
with PostgreSQL HStore
module<https://postgres.heroku.com/blog/past/2012/3/14/introducing_keyvalue_data_storage_in_heroku_postgres/>
as
a possible alternative to be able to store geometries with PostGIS and tie
additional key/value pairs in a hstore data type column.

   - Can anyone comment on successful or unsuccessful attempts to implement
   such a technology approach integrating PostGIS with HStore?
   - How would one extract data out in such a manner (I suspect a custom
   program would need to be run)?

I do realize HStore is very new on the scene, but curious if this
environment is something that will even work with PostGIS.  Thanks!

Cheers,
Blair